Baytown-West Chambers County Economic Development Foundation | 1300 Rollingbrook Dr., Suite 610 | Baytown, TX 77521 | 281.420.2961 |

FEMA opens disaster recovery center in Anahuac

September 26, 2017

The Federal Emergency Management Agency has opened three additional disaster recovery centers, including one in Anahuac.

FEMA has now opened recovery centers in Chambers, San Jacinto and Aransas counties. 

The Chambers County recovery center is at the American Legion, 1704 South Main Street, and is open from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. 

Disaster recovery centers can help flood victims of Harvey with in-person support to individuals and businesses in counties included in the Texas federal disaster declaration for Harvey. 

Recovery specialists from FEMA and the U.S. Small Business Administration, the state and other agencies will be at the centers to talk about assistance and to help everyone who needs guidance in filing and application. 

Whether you have a leaky roof as a result of Harvey or if you received several feet of water in your home, you should apply for assistance at the disaster recovery center.

“Any residents with storm damage should definitely apply at the DRC,” Chambers County Fire Marshal Ryan Holzaepfel said. “What typically then happens is FEMA will arrange for a home inspection to verify and determine the extent of damage. They are telling citizens to document storm damages with photographs.”   

FEMA suggests homeowners, renters and businesses register with the agency before visiting a recovery center. But pre-registration is not required before visiting the disaster recovery center. 

Eligible residents can register online at, by phone at 800-621-3362 or with the FEMA app, which is available for Apple and Android mobile devices. To download visit 

When registering, the following information will be helpful: 

• Address of the location where damage occurred (pre-disaster address) 

• Current mailing address 

• Current telephone number

• Insurance information 

• Total household income

• Routing and account number for checking or savings account (this allows FEMA to directly transfer disaster assistance funds into a bank account) 

• A description of disaster-caused damage and losses. 

After you register for disaster assistance with FEMA, a FEMA inspector will contact you to schedule an inspection for your damaged home. 

“My advice to citizens is if they are in doubt as to whether or not they qualify, they should visit a DRC and speak with FEMA representatives,” said Holzaepfel.